At Banks Road the curriculum in the Nursery and Reception classes follows the Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS). High quality teaching enables all pupils to develop their knowledge and skills within a safe and secure learning environment.
Activities are planned to reflect the different ways in which young children learn. We engage pupils in learning opportunities which develop skills such as critical thinking, problem solving, reasoning, exploration and cooperation. Our EYFS curriculum is built around three characteristics of learning:
- A Unique Child
- Positive Relationships
- Enabling Environments
Our pupils are supported to become confident and independent learners across the seven areas of the Early Years curriculum. The seven areas are:-
- Communication and Language (listening and attention, understanding and speaking)
- Physical Development (moving, handling and self-care)
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development (making relationships, understanding the difference between right and wrong, building confidence and self-esteem
- Literacy (skills and knowledge required for reading and writing)
- Understanding of the World
- Expressive Arts and Design We are committed to working in partnership with families to ensure that the individual needs of all pupils are met.