School Travel Plan
The staff, governors, parents and children of Banks Road Primary School are committed to the health and safety of all our children.
We aim to make the journey to and from school a safer, healthier experience for all and we will strive to make a positive contribution to our local and global environment by encouraging sustainable travel behaviour.
It is our intention for the school travel plan to be owned by the whole school community.
- reducing accidents and dangers on the way to and from school
- reducing congestion and improving safety around our school
- encouraging a quieter more pleasant school neighbourhood
- enabling parents and children to choose walking with confidence
- reinforcing our Healthy Schools ethos
- giving our children the opportunity to have a say in things which affect them
- playing a part in reducing the consumption of fossil fuels
- encouraging regular exercise which helps to prevent against heart disease, strokes and other related illnesses later in life
- reducing traffic fumes which can help those with respiratory problems such as asthma.
We have taken extra care to ensure that all the actions and initiatives we have planned involve all the children and where possible their parents. We feel that this is the best way to go about changing behaviours and attitudes in the long term.
The school travel situation:
- Parking on Banks Road by parents from another school makes it very dangerous to cross the road.
- Parking on NO PARKING lines outside the school, again by parents from another school causes congestion
- Cars parking on the pavements block access for pedestrians and prams
- Parents not using the parking bays correctly in the school car park
- Because of the close proximity to the docks an exceptionally large number of lorries and Goods Vehicles use Banks Road.