School of Sanctuary
A School of Sanctuary is a school that is committed to being a safe and welcoming place for all, especially those seeking sanctuary. This could be people whose lives were in danger in their own country, who have troubles at home or are just looking for a space of safety.
A School of Sanctuary is a school that helps its students, staff and wider community understand what it means to be seeking sanctuary and to extend a welcome to everyone as equal, valued members of the school community. It is a school that is proud to be a place of safety and inclusion for all.
Banks Road Primary School is one such school. We achieved School of Sanctuary status in July 2018.
There are three simple principles to being a School of Sanctuary:
- Learn about what it means to be seeking sanctuary.
- Take positive action to embed concepts of welcome, safety and inclusion within your school and the wider community.
- Share your vision and achievements – be proud!
In 2022-2023 our school applied for re-accreditation for the title of School of Sanctuary:
We have not stopped making sure our school is a safe place for everyone. We are continuing to have special visitors who are delivering empowering workshops that really encourage the children to think about a wider world and about those who need support from us and feel welcomed.
A visit from Levi Tafari:
On 7th November 2022 Levi Tefari visited Banks Road Primary and shared a poem about Liverpool that he has written himself. Our children in key stage 2 used the same structure to create their own poems based on Banks Road. The visit and the workshops with this amazing person ere incredibiy inspirational!
The refugee Week celebrations in June 2023:
Our "Respecting Refugees" display:
- We are going to have workshops and an assembly about refugees with our Asylum Link, Noor Mohammed in September 2023.
- We had a very generous clothes donations to those in need, for which we are incredibly grateful!
School of Sanctuary title re-accredited:
The Asylum Link Merseyside visit: